Thursday, June 28, 2012

Itch



When you are on the verge of the natural process of escaping your personal  staus quo situation --- then my friends you are experiencing an itch. There are two ways to scratch this itch.

1. You carefully assess the nature of the itch and attack--- fighting so to speak. This doesn't mean all out knock out drag out... but the willingness to stick it out...Fighters are rare and often hurt in the end or win... it depends on the severity of the itch
2. You do what most people do... over or under analyze the itch and after speaking to a number of people who are also experiencing their own personal itch you... flee.

So al this talk about itches and still no concrete definition.
An Itch is subjective. Itches are these frenzied or not so frenzied moments in your life when you are contemplating a desire to do drastic changes but are afraid if the results of the ripples...

Some are good at scratching these itches and coming out with an amazing "boot straps" made for TV triumphant story... then there's the rest of us... where it takes a considerable amount of years before we really do anything about the itch.

My current itch and a perpetual itch is the " What the heck am I gonna do with my life itch."
Sounds dramatic and yet aren't you thinking this may be an itch you've had to come to terms with.. of course it is. It's the Life Itch...

Here's the plan of attack usually.
Do something to sustain life as long as possible with the least restrictive means
Translation: Worship -- Work -- Live---

Sounds hideously boring.. But it isn't because the dashes comply a wide spectrum of itches all in themselves

Worship -- ( These two dashes after worship represent the ministry itch in my life)
As I delight in my Lord on a daily basis and realize that there is so much more to life than the action words but there are these lovely adjectives and adverbs that necessitate the very richness of our lives.

Worship- Do this Astrid because you are commanded and because God desires you to long for him and because he created you.
How then - boldly, eagerly, lovingly, constantly, prayerfully, with urgency...

Then there's the what do I actually do with this question complied in the itch-- after the nagging sensation of trying to reconcile what gifts God has given that I may use them to the benefit of his glory... call me a persistent self antagonist.. I realize now on the verge of turning 30 in a month and a half-- that there are specific things I am fairly good at... unfortunately I'm am also aware of the specific things with which I lack ability.

I am an encourager, writer, helper.
My itch tells me that I need time. Time is not something I manage well...
My itch says I need ambition- also not a Astrid characteristic.
So here the itch-- just barely underneath the surface of my skin pricking its way and for the most part I do a dance with this particular itch where I subdue it while indulging my gifts and seemingly moving in the right direction..but then i realize the itch has resurfaced and I'm still asking the same questions... stay tuned for answers as I am prayerfully seeking God's will in working out this itch for a longer term---

Next itch-
Work-- ( These two dashes represent my career itch)
Current status-- enjoy and like job but not life's passion
Many have jobs, several have careers but I want to live and love the work I do each day... Wishing I was one of those kids that at the age of 3 new they wanted to be a doctor, cop, insurance agent, baker, pastor, internationally renown flautist... but alas.. i was a flighty wistful dreamer kid who well is still hoping to spend their life doing their life's passion and not be starving..
Itch says come on just leave... practicality says find a replacement first
Itch says replacement won't be satisfying--- practicality says... hmmm bills, food, Adam's face.
This itch usually resurfaces every 2-3 years and says time for something you really want to do...
So there it is...

As I am enjoying my new season of being a wife and loving my husband these nagging itches continue to cause noticeable bumps in the avenues of my thinking and I'm ready to scratch a plan of attack and move forward.... well I think I am