Wednesday, June 13, 2012

And when they call...

There are a handful of people in my life that I know I can call when I'm in a trial or hurting or on the verge of tears that I can call and they will know the right thing to say...
Then there's me... I am that to some of my friends too. It's a tall responsibility but I am thankful that I am trusted with the hearts of my dearest and closest friends who need a listener...

A few days ago one of my oldest, closest friends Angela called and left a message on my phone. The crux of it was that her father lost his job of 22 years and she was painfully aware that she could not do anything to fix it... it's funny but when we are in pain or something surreal or traumatic happens to us.. our instinct is-- what can I do to fix this. Sometimes the answer is you can't.. you just sit and let another chapter of life unfold.

We are not good at sitting and waiting-- Lord knows I am a testimony to this..remember my kicking and screaming in the past 2 seasons of my life. Well here I have a friend who calls me asking me to pray- she knows I will. She knows I have a direct line to God. He happens to be my father and well there's a part of her ( though unwilling to submit God and his sovereignty) there is a part that understands he is in control. But then there's this other part that says. I thought I was. How can I take control over the situation.

We can't.

As I listen and she unfolds the story of confusion and grief, I tell her that she will be okay, her father will be okay. They have been provided for and God has a plan. She's heard the consoling, encouraging tones of my speech before and the direction always points to Christ and his plan. Angela knows my love for her and desire to see this period in her life to work itself out... but I also know she has to submit and realize that it will not be by her doing.

Surrendering is hard when we are thriving to be independent and live in this unpredictable and fallen world. But surrendering is necessary to understand the provision and hope that God is faithful --in every situation.

So as a friend I wait. I tell my dear friend I am praying as she waits... and I as my pastor calls us to do live out my faith by showing the compassion Christ showed me in mercifully plucking me from the what should have been my fate--eternity without him.

And when they call... our beloved friends who we have lived with, cried with, loved and still reject the truth of all hope and peace... what do we do.. we listen, we cry, we pray and continue to love... hoping that our love--in it's small way is an opening to the work that God is already actively drawing themselves to him-- this part we don't see..not yet anyways.... but when we do... we continue to love and encourage and build...

For now... we answer.